Book Review: Still Alice by Lisa Genova

5.7.15


There is nothing better than reading a good book outside in the sunshine during summer, I found that really good book in Still Alice. I had an idea what it was about from all of the film awards surrounding it and I think most book lovers like me prefer to read the book before seeing the film. From the very first page I was hooked on to the story of Alice living with alzheimer's. I think that has a lot to do with the way the book was written. It almost read like a diary of someone being there with Alice and her family and it felt very real. That Alice and her husband John, children Anna, Charlie and Lydia were all right there living this life. That is something I love about books, they have a world inside them that feels real.

The story goes through the reality of having alzheimer's disease, from the first symptoms of forgeting simple things, to being diagnosed, telling your loved ones, the next steps to living with it and the challenges that not only Alice faces but those around her. It's heart breaking at times and you begin to put yourself in Alice's shoes and you can't even imagine what it would be like. Lisa Genova does help you understand what I imagine it would be like. There is a line in the book that almost made me cry, 'I can't stand the thought of looking at you someday, this face I love, and not knowing who you are'. As a professor at Harvard University Alice has to also adjust to not being that person anymore who she had been for most of her life. The frustration of not feeling like herself. She can reach out but can't physically grab what she wants and needs.

I asked my Dad who works in mental health what it's like to have patients who have alzheimer's and he said how you have to be mentally strong to take care of them and it's also a tricky disease to treat and take care of. Most people don't know what it is and how much it effects people. And I feel like Genova showed this.

It's different to anything I've read. Although a little sad at times I enjoyed reading it. I felt like I was learning more about a world I have no idea about. I felt so attached to Alice and wanted to know more about her, her life before the story began. So if you're looking for something a little different and a good read this is worth checking out.

Post a Comment

latest instagram posts

© The Night is Wild. Design by Fearne.