Book Review: Me Before You by JoJo Moyes

27.9.15


Lately I haven't read much, I've been awful at finding the time to just sit or lay down and open up a book. When I went away to Sardinia it was a good chance to get back to reading for the pure love of the story. I chose a book from my 'to read' pile to bring with me, and as soon as I sat down to read it on the first day I was immediately consumed by the story. It was the only book I brought with me so I had to try and stagger it out across the week. I managed to finish it just as we were about to start descending back home in London, I had a few tears down my cheek while I was looking out of the window at night with the glow of street lights and buildings.

Louisa Clark is a young woman in her twenties who has led a very ordinary life, worked in the same cafe for years, had a long term boyfriend and lived in a small box room with her whole family. Will Traynor was an accomplished corporate worker , travelled all around the world and a ladies man living in the city. He has done a lot of adventurous things in life from bungee jumping to climbing Kilimanjaro, always wanting a challenge that will get his heart racing. Until one day while walking to work he was involved in a motorbike accident and left him paralysed from the chest down. Leaving him unable to walk and very limited use of one of his arms, meaning he required assistance for the rest of his life as there is not a cure for his condition.

When Louisa is left looking for a job she realises that she has no idea what she wants from life or who she is. Out of desperation for money to help support her family she takes a carer job, where she meets Will. Two very different individuals from different worlds being brought together. At first they both find it difficult to be around each other, over the first few weeks they become more at ease with one another and it turns into a friendship. Louisa becomes one of the only things that actually makes his painful days bearable and Will opened up Louisa's mind to better things that she could do with her days and actually live. They bring out the best in each other and then Louisa discovers a secret Will is keeping from her that changes the time they spend together and both of their lives.

Me Before You was honestly a thought provoking book that reminds you how precious every life is and every day we have on this earth. From the things we choose to spend our time doing, to the people we wish to have in our lives and doing what makes you feel alive. I have come away wanting to better myself in every way because I deserve and owe it to myself. Taking opportunities, allowing yourself to feel things and remembering that sometimes we can't control everything, but making the most of what we have is how we can thank ourselves. It does get emotional at times but I would wholeheartedly recommend reading this book. I also picked up the sequel After You the other day and I can't wait to continue the story.

Post a Comment

latest instagram posts

© The Night is Wild. Design by Fearne.